Who doesn’t love receiving gifts? People love receiving gifts so much that they are typically given on every possibly appropriate occasion and even for no reason at all.
Just to say “I love you” or “I was thinking about you.” While we may delight in receiving new electronics, books, candy or clothing, these gifts are very small and hold little value when compared with the gifts God gives to His children. “How so?” You ask. “What kinds of gifts does He give and why would I need or want them?” You may be wondering. Read on to find out!
The Gifts of God
On a daily basis God puts His children on the receiving end of His spectacular gift gifting. He showers them with gifts, of varying kinds but all of great importance. Some of His gifts are difficult to appreciate until you have been given them, but they will bless you and you need them more than you could ever know. But God knows, like a parent knows what is best for their child and desires that for them.
God’s gifts include both spiritual gifts and material blessings, the very things we too often take for granted. Among God’s awesome gifts are:
- The gifts of creation – take a look at the world around you, stop and take in all of its beauty. God himself declared it good. While you are at it, take a look at your own reflection. He created you also; He gave you life (as you know it).
- The gift of wealth – whether you are wealthy by this world’s standards or work a 9-5 to put food on the table, you have been blessed with these priceless gifts from God (Ecclesiastes 3:13)
- The gift of personal abilities – you have talents, skills and personality traits that are unique to you and will increase God’s kingdom, even you are unaware of them at this moment.
- The gift of the Holy Spirit – think of jiminy Cricket, the Holy Spirit is the Christian’s God given conscience.
- The gift of the salvation through faith alone, eternal life through Jesus Christ – the most beautiful gift God gave was His only son, Jesus Christ. Who died for your sins, so that you would not have to face eternal death but have the opportunity to live eternally simply by receiving salvation through faith, and nothing else.
God is a selfless giver of gifts and He gives to those who do not deserve rewarding, which is everyone of us. Yet you and any other individual are able to ask and receive these and many other gifts from God.
The Difference Between Worldly Gifts and Those From Above
The problem with worldly gifts is that they are not lasting (you can’t take it with you), they are imperfect (from defective items that must be returned to gifts you simply have no use for and wonder why the gift giver even gave it to you), they may be given to you with ulterior motives and they may be taken away from you at any given time.
Gifts from the Heavenly father are the exact opposite, as they are everlasting and are meant to be taken with you or prepare you for the next life, they are absolutely perfect (James 1:17), they are given to you though you have done nothing to deserve them and you aren’t expected to work for them and they are yours to keep – no one can take them away from you!
Would You Like a Free Gift?
Are you ready to receive what is sure to be the single best gift you’ve ever been given? And for free! God holds that very gift and He longs for you to ask to receive it so that He can bestow it upon you!
Receive the gift of eternal life in exchange for your confessed sins, your hurt and pain, your faith in Jesus Christ’s death and resurrection and all of yourself! God wants you; to Him, you are a precious and priceless gift.